Traditional laundry essentials including detergent, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets have many harmful side effects. Some of these include (but are not limited to):
- Skin Irritation: Synthetic ingredients found in most conventional detergents work to remove oils from clothes. This can also include the natural oils produced by your skin causing irritation. Preservatives and fragrances found in fabric softeners and dryer sheets increase your exposure to similar skin irritations.
- Respiratory Struggles: Did you know synthetic fragrances are among the top five allergens, and are known to trigger asthma attacks? Even “unscented” detergents fall into this category… There’s just another chemical added to mask the scent!
- Hormone Imbalance: Caused by chemicals that act as synthetic estrogen (also known as xenoestrogen) that disrupt normal hormone production and endocrine system imbalance.
- Environmental Impact: The synthetic chemicals found in detergents, especially, can make their way into natural aquatic life and disrupt the normal order of the environment.
Natural alternatives are the best way to avoid the above issues and decrease overall exposure to traditional laundry essentials’ harmful side effects. Try essential oils and everyday household products instead – these options are super easy, cost effective, and environmentally safe inside and outside your home!
- Everyday Household Products: Give your household cleaning an upgrade! The basics you will always reach for are organic distilled white vinegar, baking soda, washing soda, hydrogen peroxide, castile soap, and water. Essential oils will enhance your new efforts.
- Homemade Laundry Detergent: All you need is washing soda, borax, a doTERRA bath bar (grated), water and your favorite doTERRA essential oils such as Grapefruit or Bergamot.
- Stain Remover: Use a little bit of doTERRA On Guard Laundry Detergent before washing. Lemon and white vinegar together also do a great job!
- Homemade Liquid Fabric Softener: This all natural recipe includes distilled white vinegar (1 gallon), baking soda (2 cups), Clove essential oil (20 drops), and Lemon essential oil (10 drops). Combine together in a large container, and add ¼ to ½ cup per load.
- Reusable Dry Sheet: All you need is a small piece of an old cotton or wool piece of clothing (think old t-shirt, sweater, or sock) and 2 – 4 drops of your favorite essential oil like Cedarwood or Lavender.
Here’s to living that healthy life, and saving money too!